Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 05:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Burnout Paradise
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 19:11 

:shock: your new avatar :shock:

Game received, having loads of fun with it :D basically looking for fences and billboards to smash through. The racing itself leaves a lot to be desired, but that's no real problem. This game is all about driving too fast and searching for collectables, and I love that.

Yeah thats a great avatar.

And yeah the most fun I have playing this are on burning runs and road rules (time) Just driving fast.

I'm nearly 100% on my smashes, billboards and jumps just a few more to go of each.

Does anyone know where saved games and the config (graphics options+key binds) are located?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2009, 23:45 
Editors
Editors

XP : X:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataCriterion GamesBurnout Paradise
Vista : X:UsersAppDataLocalCriterion GamesBurnout Paradise

Anyone know how to change the language setting for the game ? :?:

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 00:01 

XP : X:Documents and SettingsLocal SettingsApplication DataCriterion GamesBurnout Paradise
Vista : X:UsersAppDataLocalCriterion GamesBurnout Paradise

Anyone know how to change the language setting for the game ? :?:

Thanks.

Uh I seen someone say in the registry

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 00:57 

Anyone know how to change the language setting for the game ?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREEA GamesBurnout(TM) Paradise The Ultimate BoxLanguage

@DP
With the PC version, you can easily tell the difference in handling between cars, as you have to rely on A and D for twitchy steering, vs the analog mini toggles. There's no way I'm going to be comfortable with a car that slides more. What happens is you end up going back and forth between A and D to compensate for the resulting fishtailing.

@SV
If the Krieger Arachnid really does steer better, I'll have to give it a try. My main problem has been that the cars have way too much understeer without tapping brake, and too squirrely if using brake unless you do it just right. Nor do I like tapping boost out of turns each time because it can often boost your speed too much to avoid vehicles.

Worse yet, changing the steering sensitivity, at least when using a KB, does little if anything. For a game so arcade in nature they really shouldn't have made the cars handle so poorly. Much of the time I'm sliding along guardrails to avoid traffic, vs steering in the open road. Even then you have to be careful where you do that, or you'll plow headlong into corner railing of shortcut entrances or little turnouts.

@Scav
I don't know of many whom would say most of the action is finding things, unless you plan on spending hours driving around in hopes to visually memorize the map, which is not easy to do.

I am now going for my Elite license, having beaten 18 events in A Class, all races, with 100 to go to get the Elite. Most of my time is spent desperately trying to navigate a race route during very high speed races.

It's getting rather tedious to constantly hit the main map to check my route, only to often find when going back into game I crash into something or get taken down. There are some races where you can take quite a different route, away from the carnage, and get there faster with ease. Many however force you to use one or two routes to avoid a much longer, slower trip.

Despite having logged over 22 hrs of gameplay so far, I still feel I have not learned the map nearly well enough to easily navigate routes. Even once you think you know a route, which can take several failed attempts to get in your head, the fog often kicks in, putting you back to square one.

The open world concept is a mixed blessing, and one I feel should have been accompanied by the option to be able to plot waypoints on the fly that would highlight a route for you. Even better if you had the option to use a minimap highlight or an on road highlight. It's rather ironic that they say they wanted no restart to add variety to the flow of the game and get you driving around, avoiding doing the same races over and over, yet they cannot see that for most, you have to do a given race route repeatedly back to back to get to know the map as they say you need to. It's rather baffling that they put such attention to detail in the graphics, yet could not see this simple point.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 01:45 

Despite having logged over 22 hrs of gameplay so far, I still feel I have not learned the map nearly well enough to easily navigate routes. Even once you think you know a route, which can take several failed attempts to get in your head, the fog often kicks in, putting you back to square one.

I feel completely the opposite, having put in near 30 hours, im starting to confidently feel that I know where im going within the city, for the first 20 hours I basically drove looking at the minimap. Now If ever I catch my self looking at the minimap i just look up at the top to see where I am supposed to be going And then I just concentrate on driving to there. I have never ever opened the main map during a race.

As for the handling, It feels exactly like all other games in this genre imo. Your supposed to drift around every corner that you take with the break on. The only difference is that in all those other games like NFS and MC for example is that its the E-Break opposed to the regular break.

I made a quick vid of my self just driving in freeburn my FPS was complete ass though so forgive me for the crappy quality all around.
http://www.xfire.com/video/763c4/

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 03:28 

@DP
With the PC version, you can easily tell the difference in handling between cars, as you have to rely on A and D for twitchy steering, vs the analog mini toggles. There's no way I'm going to be comfortable with a car that slides more. What happens is you end up going back and forth between A and D to compensate for the resulting fishtailing.

Try it with a 360 controller (if you have one), you may be surprised at the difference.

The steering seemed awkward to me too using the keyboard...maybe it's just the different control schemes that seem to "mess it up" as it would be.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 03:30 

I feel completely the opposite, having put in near 30 hours, im starting to confidently feel that I know where im going within the city, for the first 20 hours I basically drove looking at the minimap. Now If ever I catch my self looking at the minimap i just look up at the top to see where I am supposed to be going And then I just concentrate on driving to there. I have never ever opened the main map during a race.

As for the handling, It feels exactly like all other games in this genre imo. Your supposed to drift around every corner that you take with the break on. The only difference is that in all those other games like NFS and MC for example is that its the E-Break opposed to the regular break.

I made a quick vid of my self just driving in freeburn my FPS was complete ass though so forgive me for the crappy quality all around.
http://www.xfire.com/video/763c4/
Then again you say you relied on the minimap for the first 20 hours and now a whopping 30 hrs into it, you're finally now starting to get it in your head. 20 hrs is pretty close to the same time I've been playing and 30 hrs is a LONG time to have to play a game just to start to get to know the map. So your take is not exactly the opposite, more like minimap vs main map. Your exact words were "starting to confidently feel that I know where im going within the city". That sounds more like in general, vs having the specific route of every race in your head. Heck you could probably get an Elite Class license in 30 hrs if you went straight to events and skipped all the extras.

I couldn't disagree with you more on the handling. The cars not only slip around more than most arcade racers like NFS where you have a certain built in hookup, they steer like lead balloons, and in opposite fashion of most arcade racers. In most arcade racers braking makes the steering more sluggish, in BP you HAVE to use regular brake to steer tight enough, that's WAY different. The only time you have built in hookup in BP is when boosting, and too much speed often makes you crash. Also, in most arcade racers if you lightly tap handbrake, it puts you into a pretty controllable powerslide around corners. IN BP it's virtually useless because you spin out way too easy and it's largely due to the cars handling too slippery to begin with. You also don't need to drift in most arcade racers unless IN AN ACTUAL DRIFT EVENT.

This is where I think the problem began with BP regarding car handling. They did not foresee that combining drift elements with cars that are supposed to be for events other than drifting would be a problem. It's utterly absurd to have drift elements in a car that you are bombing down roads at break neck speeds with, trying to avoid traffic and rival racers. One might say, then don't drift, well, problem is there are many cases where you need to steer and brake and you can't avoid it. It's not so much that the idea is bad, they just didn't implement it well. There should be a drift mode you activate, perhaps via a more controllable handbrake, but you shouldn't HAVE to drift just to race, the cars should hook up and steer better. Hell, the drifting only scores you points in Stunt runs anyway.

Watched part of the vid. There was no sound, though I don't know if it was supposed to have any. Also, you're not going all that fast in it, nor racing, nor was your driving all that different from mine. This is clearly a game where you are going to be inadvertently smacking into things because the cars handle like crap. You could take the best of NFS and GRID players, have them play this game, and suddenly their driving would look much worse.

Bottom line, it's not so much how well you can drive the map freeroaming, or how well you know the map. It's a combination of how many hrs you've spent playing, how many races you've done, AND how well you know the map. THAT is what determines if the game has good flow as they intended. Plodding along for numerous hours hitting billboards, barriers, stunts and exploring is not exactly making full use of the action of the game. Also, even IF you do all that for many hours starting out, it doesn't really route train you well for the races because a lot of your focus is on the billboards, barriers, and stunts, rather than the roads.

Had they included an option of some sort to detail your route better, be it via highlighting a plotted route or just visually showing the crucial turns vs that very subtle and oft hard to hear turn signal sound, you'd be able to jump right in the action confidently with good flow and maybe not even have to use the visual aids the second play through. In fact visually highlighting the crucial turns the turn signal sound warns of may be all that's necessary, and you'd only really need a couple temporary visual flashes to see them. They could even cleverly implement it via overhead traffic signs that flash like the billboards do.

It's not inconceivable they may add something like visual route and/or turn indicators in a patch. After all, the original version didn't have flashing billboards or lights on the jumps, it was patched in. I certainly hope that turn signal sound wasn't part of that patch though, because it's clearly inadequate and barely audible even with the music off. Even if just a visual turn indicator option were added to the HUD, it would be something.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 04:07 

Try it with a 360 controller (if you have one), you may be surprised at the difference.

The steering seemed awkward to me too using the keyboard...maybe it's just the different control schemes that seem to "mess it up" as it would be.

I use an original Xbox controller, That may be why I like the feel of the cars much better than you guys. Playing on the keyboard with the default control scheme is effing pointless. You HAVE to rebind break to something that you can hit while still accelerating. Just think of the regular old break in this game as e-break in other games. They actually made the button useful unlike most driving games.

GRID has nearly the exact same handling, You have to pull the E-Break going around most corners. http://www.xfire.com/video/3d0a6/

I made a new video too: http://www.xfire.com/video/76454/

Edit:
I finally took the time to check out my time spent playing, and I'm only at 22hours, so its not nearly as bad as I had thought to learn the map.

Edit2: Another New video Power Parking! 94%
http://www.xfire.com/video/7655c/

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 08:08 
Editors
Editors

I'm over this game. It was good for about 3 hours and after that, it's much the same all over....

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2009, 10:04 

I use an original Xbox controller, That may be why I like the feel of the cars much better than you guys. Playing on the keyboard with the default control scheme is effing pointless. You HAVE to rebind break to something that you can hit while still accelerating. Just think of the regular old break in this game as e-break in other games. They actually made the button useful unlike most driving games.

GRID has nearly the exact same handling, You have to pull the E-Break going around most corners.
Sorry Dem, missed your post. I happen to have a Duke controller too that I bought from a neighbor used for $5. It was an experiment really to see if it would work well for racing games like I'd hoped. I don't know what it is, but gamepads never work well for me for anything.

Since Pro Street, a lot of racing games now have the hold the key down to carve a turn effect, so the KB isn't really as twitchy as I may have made it sound. It's more the combination of steering sensitivity adjustments not having any effect and the cars being slippery, combined with having to break to steer tight enough.

@Da Fox
I'll give you that GRID is similar in how the cars slide a bit, but entirely different in being able to fine tune the steering sensitivity and the way the brakes work. OMG the brakes are WAY different. In GRID the cars steer more sluggishly when braking and the handbrake works way better, so long as you only lightly tap it. The cars also steer plenty sharp enough in GRID without braking at all.

How anyone can say the handbrake is usable at all in this game has clearly not played the PC version using it. I have considered changing my bindings as you say though. However that makes it rather obvious that the handling in this game is in fact very different, because I have been able to use W,A,S,D with virtually every racing game I own.

Besides the obvious, there are other key ways the handling is different between BP, NFS and GRID. In NFS, esp Undercover, letting off gas results in a very heavy auto brake. You can literally brake in most turns in Undercover merely by letting off gas at the right time and duration. In GRID, just the opposite, you need to hold down brake when the warning light comes on and hold it down hard for a while when at high speed.

In BP, you're pretty much freewheeling with lots of momentum if you let off gas, and obviously the brakes don't have the same effect of either NFS or GRID. IN BP it's as if the brakes are a sort of custom drift E brake that only lightly engages the front wheels, allowing the rear to spin somewhat.

I like GRID for the realistic challenge of true racing, with the added assist of arcade features. I like NFS for the crazy racing and cop evading you can do. I like this game for it's unique physics, takedowns, and stunts, but it has issues with some things.

Car handling adjustments should have more effect. Handling should not be so slippery in a game so arcadish, more like that of NFS. Drifting should work only with handbrake whereby it grabs front wheels lightly and lets rears spin. Tapping E brake a second time would take you out of drift mode. Standard brake should actually work like a standard brake, not a drift brake. Slow mo cam should be optional, like in NFS. Visual turn indicators (I found out there is one*), should be more noticeable. There should be a jump to Junk Yard option. Flat Spins should work better. Barrel Rolls should work a LOT better. There should be a GPS option to set waypoints and highlight your route. Traffic density should be scalable. There should be a make your own playlist option for PC.

*In my Googling I found the turn signals on the back of your car flash when the turn signal sound warns you of a crucial turn in race events. The problem is it's VERY hard to see, so hard you have to take your eyes off the road and look hard for it. It basically just shows as a slightly brighter red on the tail lamp already lit. I've also read it doesn't work at all if you've been rear ended.

What they SHOULD have done is make an actual separate amber lamp specifically for use as a turn signal, and make it noticeably bright. It should be noticeable enough that you can see it flash without looking directly at the back of the car. Turn signal sound and lamps should also be optional, for those whom don't want the aid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next