Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Sep 2024, 07:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Burnout Paradise
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 15:58 
Insiders
Insiders

So how did you do the 500GT Burning Route? I've been finding them all pretty easy so far, but this one is being a real bitch. :evil:

I started to get bored with the game and almost quit playing. then it finally got somewhat difficult and now i love it and cun't stop playing. But now my controller R3 (stick button) that i use for boost has started to die. Arg.

No speedometer is okay.. but i REALLY wish it had a drivers' view camera and option for manual transmission. A manual tranny would be great for this game.. but maybe it'd make it too easy.

Races are anywhere from very easy to annoyingly difficult, but i find the Road Rage missions to be VERY easy; i often get 30-60 takedowns per. The stunt challenges are more-or-less harder, but only because i never think to plan ahead and scope out a point-happy route before hand... maybe i should.

But taht 500gt Burner is being the biggest asshole.

But man, does it run well. The nonly thing i can do to get it to run less than 50fps would be to underclock. full AS and AA seem to do nothing to performance. Makes me wish i had a higher-res display. *shakes fist*

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 17:01 

I haven't tried online play, I generally don't get into that anymore. Though it sounds like what you're describing is more like the typical LAN coop than mp racing. What exactly do you mean by "online missions"?

The online missions are coop yes, There is racing, road rage, stunt run and marked man available online but my friends were not skilled enough to have any fun playing against each other (I could have probably beat them in reverse :lol:)

A few examples of missions:

Dead Man's Reverse: Land a reverse jump over Dead Man's Edge.
Fast Fuel: Boost non-stop for 20 seconds on the I-88 Freeway.
Angus Leap: Jump from the parking garage on the EAST side of Angus Wharf to meet up on top of the parking garage on the WEST side.

http://burnout.wikia.com/wiki/Challenges

As I said they are the most fun that I've had playing this game. The timed ones can be frustrating though playing with less experienced drivers.

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 21:51 
Editors
Editors

But man, does it run well. The nonly thing i can do to get it to run less than 50fps would be to underclock.
Try SSAO :roll:

That huge jump near the dam is great, the other one on the opposite side of the map (where you jump down to the railways) is great too, and then again I can't for the life of me do a 360 flat spin :oops: I can do 300+ but it's never enough. And when I think I've landed a nice one the counter says I've done a 45 degree spin. Gettin' me nuts !!

In other news, I won all Road Rules on bikes, all street signs turned to gold on my map, and... nothing. No achievement, no "congrats" screen. Feels like "complete this if you will, but we don't care". On the other hand you *have* to go online to earn some achievements (unlike with the cars), which I find very annoying. These babies are loads of fun to drive alright, but I'm glad I didn't pay for this pack :(

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2009, 22:23 

That huge jump near the dam is great, the other one on the opposite side of the map (where you jump down to the railways) is great too, and then again I can't for the life of me do a 360 flat spin :oops: I can do 300+ but it's never enough. And when I think I've landed a nice one the counter says I've done a 45 degree spin. Gettin' me nuts !!

These babies are loads of fun to drive alright, but I'm glad I didn't pay for this pack :(

I cant for the life of me land a 360+ flat spin either :(

Well the pack is free for non ultimate box owners.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 11:48 
Editors
Editors

Oh. Well, no wonder why. Hopefully they won't charge us for just making it interesting to play offline :?

What about double barrel rolls ? Is there any particular technique or good spot to do these ?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 11:57 

What about double barrel rolls ? Is there any particular technique or good spot to do these ?

It doesnt really matter that much, you just have to get going fast and hit it just right to send you spinning fast. The first time that I did a double barrel roll was just a regular old barrel roll jump on the side of the road. (going down hill for extra speed)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 12:08 
Insiders
Insiders

Riiight SSao.. but isnt; that the FPS bane for everyone?

PS - only today did i notice you can resart a failed event... all this time I've been cursing the game and driving al theway back . Me stoopid.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 12:15 
Editors
Editors

Ok thanks. In numerous occasions my car just stopped rolling after one barrel while it had plenty of airtime left... so I was wondering if I had to strike a key or sth :lol: Guess I just need practicing, I won all Stunt Runs thanks to billboards and super jumps with flat spins here and there, i.e everything but barrel rolls...

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 13:19 

So how did you do the 500GT Burning Route? I've been finding them all pretty easy so far, but this one is being a real bitch.
This is the route I used. Make sure you take note of the shortcut areas I highlighted in yellow. The 1st is a slight zig zag through some rocks that sets you up well for a turn at a T intersection. The 2nd a dirt track right after a turn that sets you up for the best shortcut on the route, a dirt jump that circumvents a turn and saves lots of time. The 3rd is another dirt track that helps avoid traffic and a drift turn on the last stretch of winding road. I may have highlighted the 3rd one in the wrong spot though. It may be on the big sweeping turn just after the shortcut jump.

I found the 500GT route to be easier than the Hawker, which was the hardest for me. I use a the same ending to the above route with this as the start. As you can see it is a longer endurance route.

The A Class Burning Route for the Hawker is timed at 2:53. I've seen videos where it's timed at 2:45 though. Thus I thought there would be a whole new set of events for the Elite license level with different times for Burning Routes, Takedown totals for Road Rage, and point totals for Stunt Runs. I now have my Elite license and I see no point to having it because all the events are still shown as checked off with what appears to be no new event challenges.

To others talking about stunts. I'm finding flat spins to be easier than barrel rolls. I've done both of course but I can do flat spins more consistently. I even pulled off a double spin on one of the ramps on the bridge south of Lone Star and didn't even get much air doing it. It helps if you get up speed, fish tail a bit, then hold handbrake and turn while letting off gas as you hit the top of the jump.

Lately I'm just going around finding Billboards and Smash Throughs I haven't gotten yet. I had lots of fun in the quarry trying to hit that one Billboard that you have to climb to the top of the quarry by circling around it then jump with good speed way down to it.

Which brings me to that coop we were talking about. What they have for coop is a bit absurd it seems. I'd much rather it be a team effort against bots in Road Rage, Marked Man (or "men" in this case), and even team racing. That way you could work together to cause a lot of carnage to the AI. I also think it would be cool to have a race in the quarry circling around that climb to the jump, with a set number of laps.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2009, 13:46 
Insiders
Insiders

HM thanks for that, Frag. I do believe that's one of the 4 or so routes i tried, just crashed too much i guess. The closest I got so far was going south from the start and across the second most southernly bridge, as most of it is straighter, wider roads. Missed it by two or three seconds.

I have yet to get the hawker.. I'm scared.

Tonight i tried the game on the X360. And boy, does it makes me appreciate my PC. It looks pretty much the same, but it sure was harder to see oncoming traffic and reading those tiny, blurry icons on the map was very frustrating. Though to be fair it was on a mid-sized 4:3 television.

Huzzah for PCs!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next