Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Oct 2024, 20:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 17:18 

I am on the verge of buying 2 additional 24" monitors to start my journey in surround gaming.
However as i cannot afford both the 2 new monitors and the TH2G in the same month, I have decided that I am going to buy the 2 monitors first.

There is only 14 day full moneyback so i wont get the TH2G box before that expires, therefore my question is:

- As I already have a Dell 2407WFP (or 08 dont remember) Ultrasharp, which is 1920x1050, will I have any problem with adding 2 monitors which is 1920x1050, one on each side ??
Any noticable distortion, or picture lines that continues the wrong place on the next monitor ?

- Anyone tested the new Dell G2410 regarding to TH2G ? It should be better than the S2409W in almost all performance (fewer connections, but who needs that on the side monitors). However I cannot find anywhere about how it works with TH2G.

I really hope someone inhere have an answer to one or both of these questions as I am hoping to order while Dell has this monitor on sale.

Best regards

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 18:24 

max resolution for TH2G is 1680x1050 for each screen (5040x1050)
which means that you either get black bars on the sides or distortion...
you can already try what it will give by gaming on you single monitor at 1680x1050

and then with a little imagination ...

I wouldn't do it myself with this kind of res ...
but then I already prefer black bars on the sides than deforming or upscaling rendering ...

your choice!

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 21:58 

Well I am aware of the max of TH2G, and 1680x1050 doesnt look bad on the Dell I got now. Not any noticable distortion, and no black bars.
Besides i've seen alot of pictures on this forum which shows 3x24". But none with varying max resolution.

What i would like to know is how it will look going from the middle monitor to the side ones which have a different max resolution.
Will a supposedly straight line spanning all 3, be moved up or down going to the middle one, and back out to the side one ? And therefore seem to "warp" up or down because of different native / max setting, or will it be in exactly the same height on all 3 because of all 3 running 1680x1050 current resolution.

I cant really test that with only 1 as far as I know. Unfortunately :-(
Thanks for the reply, although not entirely what i was asking (although I might not have been entirely clear in my question).

Best regards

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 23:26 

sorry I forgot that your central & actual monitor is not 1920x1050 like the sides ones you intend to buy ...

well for 1920x1200 an approximate resolution which will give the kind of distorsion you can get will be 1600x1200

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2009, 23:53 

Really hope that someone has the answer to this one

What i would like to know is how it will look going from the middle monitor to the side ones which have a different max resolution.
Will a supposedly straight line spanning all 3, be moved up or down going to the middle one, and back out to the side one ? And therefore seem to "warp" up or down because of different native / max setting, or will it be in exactly the same height on all 3 because of all 3 running 1680x1050 current resolution.

Regarding to the one i got now... no black bars in those mentioned resolutions.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009, 02:23 

Really hope that someone has the answer to this one

[quote]

Regarding to the one i got now... no black bars in those mentioned resolutions.

there's two possible cases
-either all displays use 100% of the screen (no black bars on either sides)
in this case the middle screen images will be stretched from 1050 pixels (target height) to 100% of the screen height (height being 1200 pixels)
whereas the side screens height of 1050 pixels fits the target resolution exactly (and therefore won't be stretched vertically.)
so of course, in this specific case if there's an horizontal line going across all screens, it will be at a different height on the center screen than the side screens... (still depending on where is located said line & how each screen is positioned to each other. But it can't be perfectly aligned on all the screen in any case.)

-second case: both screen & graphic card scaling engines are disabled or setup to display black bars on the sides
in this case and if screens are properly aligned then any horizontal line going accross all screens will be perfectly in line.

I hope I was clear enough. As long as any stretching occurs, since screens with 1050 & 1200 pixels are not the same height, things won't be in line. Even if there's the same amount of pixels, if the screens are different you would need to check out the real height (in "centimetre") borders excluded.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009, 08:02 

Thank you for the explanation.
However there is something i cannot wrap my head around.

If both screens are the same height in centimeters, and both screens are running 1680x1050 (instead of their native resolution), and thereby stretching the image to fill the entire screen, shouldnt each image be aligned with the other (Same height of the same image) because the same image is filling both screen which is the same height and if there are no black bars ?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2009, 14:28 

Thank you for the explanation.
However there is something i cannot wrap my head around.

If both screens are the same height in centimeters, and both screens are running 1680x1050 (instead of their native resolution), and thereby stretching the image to fill the entire screen, shouldnt each image be aligned with the other (Same height of the same image) because the same image is filling both screen which is the same height and if there are no black bars ?

yes they should
it shouldn't be absolutely perfect but the difference should be near invisible

edit: beware though that it's not total height, just the height of the display area. But I think you probably already knew that...

edit2: and as an aside you will get horizontal stretching on the side monitors which will skew geometry (more so since Triple Head fov tend to distord images on the sides already ...)