Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Oct 2024, 10:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 18:40 

Which one has no DVI connection, your monitor or your video card? I am confused as to which one is forcing VGA on you..

The monitor. My video card has to have the DVI adapter, if not the monitor is a black screen.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2009, 21:23 

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do video card scaling through VGA.

With this new info, I'm very suprised the drivers let you setup 1530x864 up as a custom resolution or that your monitor displayed it at all given that it's not a VESA standard resolution.

You'll probably have to stick with playing the game pillarboxed at 1024x768, or take this as a sign that it's time to pick up a new screen :wink:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 17:37 

Unfortunately I think you're out of luck. I'm pretty sure there's no way to do video card scaling through VGA.

With this new info, I'm very suprised the drivers let you setup 1530x864 up as a custom resolution or that your monitor displayed it at all given that it's not a VESA standard resolution.

You'll probably have to stick with playing the game pillarboxed at 1024x768, or take this as a sign that it's time to pick up a new screen :wink:

Pick up a new screen? This screen is brand new!

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=samsung+syncmaster+933HD&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

It's 1080p as well, as my 360 displays in 1080p easily.

Ah well, I'll play it in windowed mode and piss about from there.

Here's betting I've got some mega shit old game from the same time that works fine :lol:

Thanks for the help, although if anyone else has got any suggestions I'd be exceptionally happy.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 19:04 

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=samsung+syncmaster+933HD&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Here's betting I've got some mega shit old game from the same time that works fine :lol:

Thanks for the help, although if anyone else has got any suggestions I'd be exceptionally happy.

http://wccftech.com/forum/samsung-product-reviews/23853-samsung-syncmaster-933hd-review.html

searching a bit through google and I find a review which says that there's no DVI cable included which ... is not a problem you only need to buy one
(second result actually, I just clicked your link & then on "web"...)

you can even see the back picture which shows DVI-D connector ...

stop the weed ? :lol: :wink: (joking)

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 19:33 

[quote]Pick up a new screen? This screen is brand new!

http://wccftech.com/forum/samsung-product-reviews/23853-samsung-syncmaster-933hd-review.html

searching a bit through google and I find a review which says that there's no DVI cable included which ... is not a problem you only need to buy one

Haha, well like I said I've already got a DVI adapter going into the back of the PC, didn't know I needed one on the other end into the TV as well.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 19:56 

[quote][quote]Pick up a new screen? This screen is brand new!

Haha, well like I said I've already got a DVI adapter going into the back of the PC, didn't know I needed one on the other end into the TV as well.

You just need the cable... a DVI cable.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 22:40 

by using an adapter DVI => VGA you're using the VGA signal which is analog
only by using a full DVI cable will you get the necessary digital signal for video card scaling to work correctly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2009, 23:59 

The ability to display a 1080p signal does not make it a 1080p screen.

Sorry, when you said this:
The monitor. My video card has to have the DVI adapter, if not the monitor is a black screen.

I thought you meant that the DVI input on your screen didn't work for some reason; instead it appears that you just don't understand how to use DVI connections. You may still be in luck then.

You don't need adapters. You need a DVI to DVI cable; you connect it directly to your video card and to the DVI port on the monitor.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2010, 17:38 

Even knowing this is probably a dead post, I created an acc only to answer you.

I have pretty much the same setup as you, 1360x768 native res. screen, but with a low-end pc and hdmi to dvi cable.
I tried almost all the combinations in resolution, soft or built-in scaling, TV setup(16:9, Zoom,just scaning etc) and 1530x864 or 1536x864 was always out of sync. With all messing I realized the "next" resolution I could set stable is 1920x1080(Nvidia control panel set this res. when I tried res. above 1600x900), which makes Desktop look pretty small and "pixelated", but with correct scaling and the game looking great. If I had more knowledge about hardware I would probably be able to set a 1530x864 by changing other stuff like polarization, cvt etc.

Summarizing:
What worked for me was setting the res in 1920x1080 (signal input 1080i at Nvidia controlpanel->Change the signal or HD format),
Patching the game for 1920x1080 resolution.

Even with a low-end hardware like mine, I could run the game smoothly, only turning v-sync and minor stuff off. Btw, the hud is very small but it in the right place, unfortunately...

Hope I help anybody. bb

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 06:15 

Hi! I just registered a few minutes ago and this is my first post so sorry if I'm digging an older post, and sorry me too if my grammar or spelling is bad, I'm not english native speaker.

I tried many ways to solve this problem, I think that the 1530x864 resolution is the best way to do, but for those who haven't a DVI or HDMI conector or cables, like me, this solution doesn't work, since in VGA mode the scaling is not suported. But I "solved" the problem with a workaround! :wink:

The first thing to do is activate the movies. The movies in game have no suport to resizing the resolution, so, all you will get when changes the resolotion is a black screen with sounds. I tried this solution that I found in this forum and it worked fine.

After you followed all steps in the other thread, open the UniWS and, in 1024x768 KOTOR's interface, set the resolution to 1320x770. Apply the patch, and open the swkotor.ini in notepad with Admin privilegies. Go to "Graphic Options" and change the "Weight=" and "Height=" lines (that probably is set in 1024x768) to "Weight=1320" and "Height=770" (without quotes) resolution.

This worked pretty fine to me in a LG Flatron W1953T plugged in annalogic conector (the VGA con., of course) using an ATI Radeon 3200 HD onboard!! :shock:

In that resolution all the conversations will appear, you'll loose just 2 vertical points and in horizontal points the 1320 fits fine in 1368 res.

I hope this is helpful, and, once one time I'm sorry if I digged out an older thread, but when I tried and tried again and it finally works, I felt that I should need to share this with both of you. :)