Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 17:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: TH2GO
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 04:51 

Very nice write up!!

It works for me, but I still have 182.50 drivers.
Before I start trying other driver versions again, have you had luck
with newer drivers. That has been my main issue.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 06:15 
Administrators
Administrators

Very nice write up!!

It works for me, but I still have 182.50 drivers.
Before I start trying other driver versions again, have you had luck
with newer drivers. That has been my main issue.

Cool.

Yes, I am using the latest Nvidia drivers right now. I am using it on both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP 32 bit (my machine and a friends). I have full Aero functionality on the Windows 7 box.

I update the TH2G first (if it's not already at the latest firmware), install the Nvidia driver next, then install the PowerDesk last. I always reboot before running PowerDesk, and always reboot whenever PowerDesk suggests I should, and it works for me.

Good luck!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 06:52 

No good with anything but 182.50 for now. It seems that more people are having better luck
with Windows 7 64 bit. I am not seeing much luck with the 32 bit version like me.

I wonder if I should just start all over with 64 bit. I will have to read up on the advantages of it.

Thank you for your post.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 07:54 
Administrators
Administrators

64 bit is the go nowadays, I highly recommend it. It's very stable, unlike my experience with XP 64 bit.

Sorry to hear that the latest drivers don't work but at least you can get 5040x1050.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 11:34 

As far as I know, there has not been a firmware change. Only PowerDesk has been updated to 2.06 and that has let me run 1680x1050x3x60Hz on every computer that I have tried.

Something I posted elsewhere:

A trick I use when setting up a TH2G is to set up in singlescreen 1680x1050x60 first, then go to a 5040x1050 desktop after a reboot. Example:

1. Update the firmware on the TH2G to the latest if you haven't already.
2. Install the latest Matrox PowerDesk (2.06 I use).
3. Run the Matrox Setup Wizard, choosing Singlescreen (not TripleScreen), then select Widescreen (not Standard aspect ratio, as 3 x 1680 x 1050 will not appear for me if you don't change this setting), manually select 1 x 1680 x 1050, then save and apply. Run through the setup until the system asks you to reboot, then reboot the PC. When it restarts, the setup completes.
4. Go into the PowerDesk and save the single screen setup as a favourite (use swap display first if the wrong screen is being used in single screen mode).
5. Quit out of PowerDesk, right click on the Desktop, go to Personalise or whatever menu option takes you to your screen resolution (depending on which version of Windows you're on), then move the slider out to 5040x1050.
6. Open PowerDesk again and save the triplescreen setup as a second favourite.
7. Setup hotkeys.

Also, something worth noting. If you ever start the Matrox PowerDesk and it says something like 'detected settings have change', always click Yes to reboot before making changes in PowerDesk or it will rarely work. Don't just click No.

The problem is at step 5 however, the 5040x1050 resolution isn't available on newer driver releases.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 13:20 
Administrators
Administrators

The problem is at step 5 however, the 5040x1050 resolution isn't available on newer driver releases.

Well it is for me on XP, Vista, and 7, so it must be a hardware issue or something. I am using GTX275 cards on all my machines.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 18:31 

Dunno what to say, but I can't get it to work, either with 280GTX or 295GTX with the same hardware components.

182.50? Then your step by step works to the T. 195.81 (or .65)? Nope. 3840x1024 is the maximum it allows. I was wondering if it isn't installing the other resolutions for some reason on the newer drivers.

I've tried setting a custom resolution but it says monitor ain't supported. At this point I'm pretty tired of Matroxs inability to code a working PowerDesk/Setup Wizard.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2009, 19:45 

Timmeh, I have 275 cards as well (sli) and am running into the same issue as the previous poster. I simply do not get the option to run 3x5040x1050 no matter how I set it up.

I thank you for your help. I will attempt again EXACTLY what you suggest when I get home from work - but so far only 3x1440x900 will work and ONLY if I use the custom res with 2.04 pd trick. 5040x1050 is a no go for me under those settings too.

Funny thing is that it works perfectly with 182.5's. It just won't run the software I want because the opengl render needs a newer driver. Go figure.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 00:24 
Administrators
Administrators

Yeah I don't know either.... :(

I do know that it only worked this way for me with PowerDesk 2.06, I had a few more problems with 2.05.

Trying to think of anything other reason why it won't work.

One thing, when I update the firmware on the TH2G, I am not 'using' the TH2G. I have one single monitor plugged in to the graphics card, and just plug the TH2G in via USB and update it while not using it. Can't see that this would be an issue though.

The three processors I am using these on are two 775 processors (Q8300 / Asus P5K-SE mobo / Gigabyte GTX275 and Q9550 / Gigabyte EP45 mobo / Gigabyte GTX275) and a Core i5 750 / Gigabyte P55 mobo / Galaxy GTX275.

The only thing I can think of is that I have never installed previous Nvidia drivers, every single one is on a fresh operating system and only the one install. Sucks to do a fresh Windows install to find it doesn't fix the problem, unless you have a spare HDD to try it on.

The only other thing I can think of is the monitors. Every single system I have uses the same monitors (3 x ViewSonic VX2240w). This seems pretty important during the Matrox setup, it recognises the monitors and the native resolution without installing any OEM software for them. I assumed all monitors would be like that though. If I can borrow 3 monitors from a different brand somewhere (not sure how I am going to find 3 to borrow but if I get the chance...) I can see if they are the key.

I wish there was someone in the Sydney / Newcastle region of Australia that was having problems so I could go over and try a few things. I just can't replicate the problem of not running 5040x1050 which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

By the way I am not a Matrox employee, just someone trying to help. :nudgenudge

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2009, 09:59 

I know you aren't an employee. None of us are. If I could get support from them on thier own site, trust me, I'd be doing it. :)

Now, here is something I find interesting. This is the message I get when trying to install triplehead resolutions of any type using thier utility.

Matrox product:
TripleHead2Go Digital Edition
Graphics hardware:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275
Windows display used for Matrox product:
Display 1
Input used:
Digital
Connector 1:
ACR Acer X223W (Digital) on Analog connector.
Connector 2:
Samsung SyncMaster (Digital) on Analog connector.
Connector 3:
ACR X223W (Digital) on Analog connector.
Display setup:
3 displays, Stretched mode
Display mode to apply:
1680x1050 per monitor (output refresh rate: 60Hz)

Did you notice that the connections are listed as digital on analog connectors?

Shouldn't they be listed as digital on digital connectors? And yes, before you or anyone else asks I am using the dual link dvi cable from the th2go box to my computer, and dvi cables from the th2go to each monitor. There are no legacy monitor cables being used. Does anyone else having success with th2go get the above digital on analog connector message when using dvi cables? I understand some of the higher resolutions including 1440x900 and 1650x1080 require dvi (which I stress I have and am using).

Another item of note - everytime I am able to successfully install a mode (4080x768 for example) I get a blank screen when windows tries to enable the mode. I have to power off and reboot into windows, and then manually select the installed mode via the standard resolution slider. I don't know if this is helpful info or not, but I thought it was worth passing on. Could it have anything to do with Win7/vista stupid security crap? Could it be that for some reason my th2go box cannot figure out it actually has proper connections? Why? I am using the latest firmware. Latest drivers, etc. I don't want to go through all the crap I've tried to get this working properly, but suffice to say I have tried everything here that I have seen so far.

Thanks Timmeh for all your help and anyone else who wishes to chime in.